Thursday, January 24, 2013

The voices of trees

"I am the Lorax.  I speak for the trees.
I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues."
                              -Dr. Seuss (1971)

While it may be true that trees have no tongues, many trees do seem to have stories to tell. 


One tree I found this last fall seemed to have many stories to tell.  One pattern in the bark looked like a Fancy Shawl Dancer.  This a modern style of Native American dancing performed by young women.  Fancy Shawl Dancing originated in the 20th century and imitates a butterfly coming out of its cocoon and flying away.
 

Fancy Shawl Dancer

On the same tree, above the Fancy Shawl Dancer, is a pattern that look like an owl.

Owl
Dancer below, Owl above


Other trees my not have stories to tell, but they do have spirits that watch you as you wander through the woods.

Tree Spirit on Cedar
As you wander around the woods, look at the trees and see what stories they hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment