Thursday, May 30, 2013

Asleep in a tree

Driving down a country road last Friday, this was the scene that greeted me.



My first hope was "Porcupine!"  The area is not outside their possible range.  I had never seen a porcupine in that area before, but then again I never see any living porcupines - just dead ones in the road.

However, getting closer I realized it was not a porcupine.  It was a  Northern Raccoon (Procyon lotor) sleeping in the top of a tree.

Northern Raccoon (Procyon lotor)

Not as cool as a porcupine, but still rather nice to see.  I walked up and down the road taking pictures from different angles and the raccoon woke up and started watching me walk around. 

Northern Raccoon (Procyon lotor)
I had somewhere to be so I left after about less than five minutes.  When I passed back by several hours later, the tree was empty.  The raccoon finished its nap and went along its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment