Friday, September 13, 2013

World's Largest Rotating Globe

On our trip to Maine, my wife (Shara) and I visited the world's largest revolving/rotating globe.  Known as Eartha, this globe measures over 41 feet in diameter and is housed at the headquarters of DeLorme (a manufacturer of maps, atlases, global positioning systems, and mapping software) in Freeport, Maine.  The globe is housed in the company's three story lobby.My wife and I (mainly my wife) have a collection of globes so this was one of many highlights of the trip for her.  

All photos by Shara LeValley.

The World's Largest Globe - as seen from the 3rd floor balcony

The World's Largest Globe - add a random tourist for scale

North America coming into view

Home is right there in the middle of the "mitten"

The World's Largest Globe - most of North America

The World's Largest Globe in the three story glass lobby at DeLorme headquarters in Freeport, Maine

1 comment: