Wednesday, February 7, 2018

A Peregrine Falcon in Mt. Pleasant

I have said repeatedly in the past that I am not a birder, but I seem to have spent a fair amount of time lately looking for specific birds.  In January I shared photos of several Snowy Owls from around Mid-Michigan.  This is not the only uncommon bird to show up in the area this winter.  For the past month, there has been a Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) hanging out in Mt. Pleasant.  This is only the sixth Peregrine Falcon reported on eBird for Isabella County all since 2014. 


This bird has chosen to hang out on the City of Mt. Pleasant water tower located north of Pickard Road, between Mission Road. and Kinney Avenue.  When I saw the Falcon it was perched on a metal seam along the center of the tower.  Others have seen it perched on the railing above the catwalk at the base of the tank. 



Good luck searching for this bird.  I saw it on my first attempt, but I know of one birder that has made at least four unsuccessful attempts to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment