Thursday, September 27, 2018

It's classified...

At the start of the school year I give lots of classroom presentations about trees.  The students learn about the jobs that different parts of the tree do and about the process of photosynthesis.  The favorite parts of the presentation for the students (and me) are the hands-on activities involving dendrochronology (the study of tree growth rings) and leaf classification.  I've written about both subjects multiple times - look here and here for dendrochronology posts; leaf classification posts can be found here and here.

Today I thought I would share a little bit more about leaf classification.  The following few images are basically the same as the introduction to leaf classification/identification that I give in class.  







With this information you should now be able to classify the leaves of Michigan trees as well as any third grader!

Here are the leaves of forty Michigan species.  Where do you think they fi tin the classification system?  Needle-leaf or broadleaf?  If its a broadleaf, is it simple or compound?














 






 





 

























No comments:

Post a Comment