Friday, January 31, 2014

World Wetlands Day - 02 February 2014

Those people that know me know that I love stomping around in wetlands.  Every year I, introduce hundreds of students (and a few adults) to the world of aquatic macroinvertebrates.  I have hundreds of photos of wetland animals and plants.  One of my favorite books is Swampwalker's Journal: A Wetlands Year by David M. Carroll.

I mention all of this because of what is occurring this Sunday (02 February).  February 2nd is commemorated each year as World Wetlands Day in honor of the adoption of an international Convention on Wetlands at Ramsar, Iran on 02 February 1971. 

 
The Ramsar Convention works to identify and preserve Wetlands of International Importance.  Michigan is home to one of these wetlands.  The Humbug Marsh is located along the  Detroit River in southeastern Michigan and is part of the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge.


No comments:

Post a Comment