Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Firsts of the Year

On Monday (30 MAR) I found both my first butterfly and my first snake of the year.  Last year I also found both my first butterfly and first snake of the year on the same day, but last year I did not find them until 10 April - twelve days later in the year.

Last year's first butterfly was a Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa).  The Mourning Cloak overwinters as an adult and is typically the first butterfly I find each year. I was hoping to find a Mourning Cloak on my walk at Forest Hill.

Instead I found an Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma).  Actually I found two of them.  Both of these butterflies were very skittish and I was unable to approach close.  Like the Mourning Cloak, the Eastern Comma overwinters as an adult.

Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma) - found in the North Woods at Forest Hill Nature Area

Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma) - found in the South Woods at Forest Hill Nature Area

My first snake of the year for 2014 was a Common Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis).  It was no real surprise that my first snake of 2015 was also a Common Garter Snake.  This snake did not stick around for more than a single photograph.




No comments:

Post a Comment