Monday, April 27, 2015

What's Blooming - Friday 24 APR 2015

On Friday (24 APR 2015), I was able to get away for a short time to check on what's blooming in the woods.  I am not doing a "Wildflower Big Year" like I did last year, but I still plan to keep track of what I find.  After completing two programs on Michigan Trees at Ganiard Elementary, I stopped at Chipp-A-Waters Park to look for spring ephemeral wildflowers.  The word ephemeral means "lasting for a very short time" - this is a very good description of these flower species.  They emerge from the forest floor, grow leaves, flower, and produce seeds all before the overhead canopy fills up with leaves.  Then they die back to their roots and wait to repeat the cycle one year later.

Here are the spring ephemeral wildflowers that I found on Friday.

Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis)

Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) - Lots of plants, but the bloom is almost done

Spring Beauty (Claytonia virginica)

Spring Beauty (Claytonia virginica)

Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria)

Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria) - just starting to bloom last week, should be full this week

No comments:

Post a Comment