Thursday, March 9, 2017

First wildflower of 2017

Several people have asked me in person if I have found any wildflowers yet this year.  Yes, I have.  I actually found my first species earlier this week.


My first wildflower of the year is no surprise.  Skunk Cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus) is the first flower I find every single year.  While winter may have been nonexistent this year, Skunk Cabbage is right on its normal scheduled for blooming.  In fact, last year I found my first Skunk Cabbage bloom during the same week of March.  The only difference is that last year's flower was surrounded by snow.


I am not doing a Wildflower Big Year in 2017, but that doesn't mean that I won't be photographing and sharing wildflowers.  I am always on the lookout for species that I have never seen before.  I just won't be searching as intensely as last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment