Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Spring - Delayed

I went out to one of my favorite wildflowers spots yesterday to see what is blooming.  Usually by the third weekend of April I can find Large-flowered Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum), Spring Beauty (Claytonia virginica), Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria), Yellow Trout Lily (Erythronium americanum),
Blue Cohosh (Caulophyllum thalictroides), Cut-leaved Toothwort (Cardamine concatenata), Common Blue Violet (Viola sororia), and probably a few species blooming at this site.  Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) is often done blooming by now.  

So what did I find yesterday?

The only significant green is from Wild Leeks (Allium tricoccum).

Wild Leek shoots - photo taken 18 APR 2013
Bloodroot was just beginning to come up.

Bloodroot, less than 1.5 inches tall
As was Dutchman's Breeches.

Dutchman's Breeches

There were also a few leaves from Spring Beauty and Yellow Trout Lily visible, but that was it as far as native wildflowers.  I am going to another site today, but I expect more of the same.  Spring seems to have been delayed by about a week.

I did see one other thing.  My third snake of the year a small (1 foot long) garter snake.

Garter Snake peering over downed branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment