Thursday, May 1, 2014

Scenes from Spring (14 April - 29 April)


One goal that I set for myself this year was to take photographs of as many species of wildflowers as I can in Mt. Pleasant.  I chose to do this because I have a long list of flowers that I have found in town over the past twelve years.  I want to see how many I can find in one growing season.  This means, that as flowers have begun blooming over the past two weeks, I have been spending as much time in the woods as possible.

This does not mean that wildflower pictures are the only photographs that I am taking.  Here a few of my other photos from the past two weeks.

A pile of wood chips and a chewed log - a beaver has been chewing on this downed cottonwood.

A windy, cloudy April day.  This picture was taken on the day that the Chippewa River began flooding.

Can you find the nesting Canada Goose?

A male Red-winged Blackbird sways on a cattail stalk

The first warbler of the year - a Yellow-rumped Warbler

A Mallard hen sits watching me as her mate swims away

Last Autumn's oak leaves

Black squirrels are a color phase of Gray Squirrel


A Black-capped Chickadee foraging for food and nesting sites


This Downy Woodpecker prefers to make its own nest cavity


A carpet of Wild Leek


A Six-spotted Tiger Beetle running along an asphalt trail

Map Turtles sunning themselves along the Chippewa River

A trio of Brown-headed Cowbirds

Vibrant green leaves of Skunk Cabbage are beginning to open

A curl of birch bark


No comments:

Post a Comment