Friday, April 8, 2016

Favorites

When it comes to nature, I have many favorites.

I have a favorite place place to hunt for rocks.

I have a favorite place to watch the stars.

I have a favorite wildflower.

I have a favorite season.

Of all of the many photographs that I have taken, I have a favorite.

I had a favorite wildflower patch.  Before the paved trail was put in at Chipp-A-Waters Park, there was a patch of Dutchman's Breeches, Squirrel Corn, Large-flowered Trillium, Bloodroot, and more that was the best kept secret in Mt. Pleasant's park system.

Perhaps it wasn't such a secret, I told all of my wildflower loving friends and acquaintances about.  I even led people there on wildflower walks.  It remained beautiful.

Unfortunately, over the last few years, this patch has degraded.  Cutting trees to put in the paved trail opened up the canopy and let fore sunlight down to the forest floor.  Invasive shrubs began to pop up.  A very aggressive patch of Lily-of-the-valley marched across the woodland and encroached on the patch.  For the past two or three years, i have been fighting a battle to keep Garlic Mustard from overrunning the patch.

This wildflower patch still has its moments.


Unfortunately, with all of the challenges, it's days seem to be numbered.  I still love it - this patch of woods did more to kindle my love of wildflowers than any other place around.  I still get excited to go their during the spring bloom, but it's not the same as that original "secret" patch.

I have a new favorite wildflower patch.  Unlike the mixed patch at Chipp-A-Waters Park.  This 'new" patch is composed of only one species.


It's an enormous patch of Mayapple.  It's in one of Mt. Pleasant's parks, but it's off the beaten path and will probably always stay that way.  If you ask, I might tell you how to get there.  If you are really lucky, I might show it to you...  If you can keep a secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment