Monday, August 26, 2013

A red belt is always in style

I went out this morning to look for Monarch Caterpillars.  The short story is that I didn't find any.  However I did find this:



My best guess is that it is a Red-belted Bumblebee (Bombus rufocinctus).  The Red-belted Bumblebee is named for the rust/orange colored bands on its abdomen, but it is highly variable in color.  It is fairly common and ranges in a band from British Columbia east to the coast of Maine.  Usually I find only the Common Eastern Bumblebee (Bombus impatiens) so finding any other species is exciting.

If anyone thinks my identification is incorrect please let me know.

For more information on the bumble bees of the eastern United States look at this guide published by the Pollinator Partnership and the US Forest Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment