Saturday, October 28, 2017

Late October afternoon (27 October 2017)

Yesterday, late in the day, I headed out to retrieve the memory cards from my trail cameras.  I had planned to leave them out until after November 1st, but given the opportunity I decided to retrieve them a few days early. 

This also gave me the opportunity to get a few pictures of the fall leaves.  Mid-Michigan is well past prime color.  Most of the trees have already changed color and dropped their leaves, but there are still opportunities to be found.

It was rather a dreary day, with overcast skies and flat light; not the best conditions for photography.  Add in the fact that by the time I got into the woods the sun was already getting low in the West.  Lower light levels meant longer exposure times.  I wasn't using a tripod so there was the good change that many of my pictures would end up being blurry.  Despite these challenges I was happy with my results.

Looking down into the swamp.

A black-phase grey squirrel.  These are becoming more and more common.

Sugar Maple leaves in the swamp.

A deer trail cuts through this edge of the swamp.

Ferns change color in the fall too.

A pop of red sticks out amid the many shades of brown.

Maidenhair ferns can be found along edges of the swamp

The park is surrounded on three side by private land.

Sugar maple leaves floating in a puddle.

Some maples are still hanging on to their leaves.

High-bush Cranberry adds its two shades of red to the swamp.

These berries will probably persist into the winter - birds eat them but only when other foods are gone.

Lichen adds its own shades of color to the swamp

Sugar Maples flank an Eastern Hemlock

Paper Birch bark and Sugar Maple leaves

The canopy around this large Sugar Maple is definitely thinned out.

Most leaves are now on the forest floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment